Thursday, July 7, 2016

2 VP Choices on People’s Lips Say ‘No Thanks’ to Being Donald Trump’s Running Mate

The search to secure Donald Trump’s running mate just lost two major contenders.

According to the Washington Post, Senator Bob Corker (R-Tenn) has bowed out of the “veepstakes” running.

Corker was being seriously considered over the past month, and had already gone through the vetting process.

Image Credit: Bill Clark/Getty Images

Image Credit: Bill Clark/Getty Images

In a phone interview, Corker told the Washington Post (a publication barred by Trump’s campaign) that that he didn’t feel comfortable with the “role of political attack dog,” saying:

“It’s a highly political job, and that’s not who I am,” Corker said. “We had a very open conversation about that, and actually, we have been very candid about it from the very beginning of our meetings. I left there feeling very good about him as a person but also realized that at age 63, I know the things I’m good at doing.

And knowing what a candidate for vice president has to do, it’s just not the right thing for me, and I don’t think it’s the right thing for them.”

However, Corker did stand by Trump’s side at a rally in Raleigh, North Carolina, this past Tuesday.

Just as the news of Corker stepping out of the race hit, another potential name was taken off the table.

Image Credit: Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call/Getty Images

Image Credit: Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call/Getty Images

Politico just revealed that rising conservative star Joni Ernst, a junior Senator from Iowa, has also effectively bowed out, telling the publication:

“I made that very clear to him that I’m focused on Iowa. I feel that I have a lot more to do in the United States Senate. And Iowa is where my heart is.”

“I’m just getting started here. I have a great partner with Chuck Grassley, we’ve been able to accomplish a lot. And I think that President Trump will need some great assistance in the United States Senate and I can provide that.”

Though she politely declined the role of running mate, Ernst reportedly “heaped praise” on Trump. Ernst will also get a plum speaking slot at the upcoming Republican National Convention, and has said she would love to “assist Trump on the trail.”

The highest profile running mate choices still circulating through the press are former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

Corker revealed that he believes Trump will likely go public with his VP pick on July 15th.

The post 2 VP Choices on People’s Lips Say ‘No Thanks’ to Being Donald Trump’s Running Mate appeared first on Independent Journal Review.


Source: independent journal

The post 2 VP Choices on People’s Lips Say ‘No Thanks’ to Being Donald Trump’s Running Mate appeared first on .@tonygreene113.

No comments:

Post a Comment