Friday, July 15, 2016

Woman Notices Police Get Quiet When She Walks into Store. Nothing Prepares Her for What They DID Say

A deep sorrow was felt by many who woke up Friday morning to the news of what had occurred in Dallas, Texas, just hours before.

As with the events in Orlando and San Bernardino, such tragedies transcend city and state lines, affecting Americans no matter where they live.

In Andover, Massachusetts, Natasha Howell was attempting to carry on with her day in light of the events, when an experience with a local police officer brought her to tears:

Her account of the exchange, posted the morning of Friday, July 8, reads:

“So this morning I went into a convenient store to get a protein bar. As I walked through the door, I noticed that there were two white police officers (one about my age the other several years older) talking to the clerk (an older white women) behind the counter about the shootings that have gone on in the past few days.

They all looked at me and fell silent. I went about my business to get what I was looking for, as I turned back up the aisle to go pay, the oldest officer was standing at the top of the aisle watching me.

As I got closer he asked me, “How I was doing? I replied, “Okay, and you? He looked at me with a strange look and asked me, “How are you really doing?” I looked at him and said “I’m tired!” His reply was, “me too.” Then he said, “I guess it’s not easy being either of us right now is it.” I said, “No, it’s not.” Then he hugged me and I cried.

I had never seen that man before in my life. I have no idea why he was moved to talk to me. What I do know is that he and I shared a moment this morning, that was absolutely beautiful. No judgments, No justifications, just two people sharing a moment.”

Though the Massachusetts woman’s original Facebook post has since been removed, it didn’t take long to strike a chord in many Americans, reportedly being shared more than 30,000 times within the first hours it was posted.

In the end, Howell’s experience serves as simple, but powerful reminder that especially in times of national sorrow, the recognition of our shared humanity can bring us all together.

The post Woman Notices Police Get Quiet When She Walks into Store. Nothing Prepares Her for What They DID Say appeared first on Independent Journal Review.


Source: independent journal

The post Woman Notices Police Get Quiet When She Walks into Store. Nothing Prepares Her for What They DID Say appeared first on .@tonygreene113.

No comments:

Post a Comment